As an organisation with important responsibilities towards our beneficiaries, donors, supporters, and the general public, we recognise the importance of accountability and transparency in all aspects of our work.
All charities, not just Crohn’s and Colitis UK, need to ensure maximum value for money in everything that they do. This includes how we pay staff and how we balance this with being able to deliver unprecedented change to the lives of everyone affected by Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
Whether it is delivering a direct service to our beneficiaries or managing the effective and efficient running of the organisation, our staff team plays a critical role in helping the charity to develop, grow and deliver ever more for our beneficiaries.
How staff deliver our work
The work of the charity covers a number of important areas, all designed to help us improve lives today whilst striving towards an ambition of a world free from Crohn’s and Colitis in the future.
Our overall staff numbers are closely monitored to ensure that we have the necessary capacity to deliver the charity’s work whilst ensuring that any future growth in staff numbers is in line with the charity’s overall growth plans. Some examples of these work areas include:
- Staff running of our free, 9am – 5pm confidential support line
- Staff managing our programme of research funding including supporting our eminent medical panel of volunteer scientists, academics and clinicians
- The production, development and circulation of our award winning patient information and publications
- Delivery of important campaigns such as ‘More IBD Nurses – Better Care’ - led by our part time specialist IBD nurse consultant and our ‘Not every disability is visible’ campaign for accessible toilets
- Growing our fundraising – the more money we can raise, the more we can do for people affected by Crohn’s and Colitis
- Staff providing day to day support for our growing community of members and volunteers
Across all of this, our staff work in partnership with a growing community of volunteers who also play a critical role in the work of the charity. None of this core charitable work would be possible without the staff and volunteers who support it, lead it and drive it.
How pay is governed
Our Board of Trustees (all volunteers) are responsible for defining the charity’s pay policy, and deciding on the salaries of the Chief Executive and his or her leadership team. We are committed to ensuring a balance between:
- Paying our staff who work for us fairly so that we attract and retain the very best people with the right experience, talent and leadership qualities
- Careful management of our charity funds.
This clear policy ensures the greatest effectiveness in delivering our charitable objectives and in meeting the needs of our beneficiaries.
Our salary principles
Our staff salaries are independently reviewed against charities of similar size, income, location and structure, to ensure that salary levels are both appropriate and competitive.
Our salaries need to be competitive within the charity sector, but we do not aim to compete on pay with the public or private sectors.
Salaries of the chief executive and directors are set, reviewed and agreed by our Board of Trustees.
We are transparent about our costs
All charities follow clear guidance on how to report staffing costs. This openness and transparency is essential if we are to help people to understand and retain the trust of the general public and our supporters.
In 2016 we reported the following:
|Our total income was||£5.0m|
|Our staff costs||£1.7m|
|Number of staff delivering direct charitable objectives||31|
|Number of staff delivering internal charity support services||6|
|Number of staff generating funds||14|
Our staffing levels and costs are regularly monitored to ensure that core running costs of the charity are maintained at a level that is appropriate to our overall income and objectives.
Further details on staff remuneration can be found in our Annual Report and Accounts.
Like what you see? If you'd like to become part of our team, please see the latest jobs page for more details and how to appply.