We are working with over 100 other organisations and charities as part of the Disability Benefits Consortium to respond to the UK government’s Health and Disability Green Paper – Shaping Future Support.
The Disability Benefits Consortium will be submitting a detailed response focusing on improving welfare benefits for disabled people and people with long term health conditions.
We will also be submitting our own response highlighting the need for:
- The welfare benefits system to work for people with Crohn’s, Colitis and other fluctuating conditions
- Improvements to the assessment process and design of Personal Independence Payment so that it appropriately addresses the extra costs of disability for people with Crohn’s, Colitis and other long-term conditions
- Government employment support schemes such as Disability Confident to be extended to include invisible conditions more fully
- Increased awareness of the Access to Work programme and other sources of employment support to help people with IBD start, stay and succeed in work
- Work coaches to have appropriate understanding of Crohn’s and Colitis
Have your say
If you have experience of the benefits system, good or bad, please help us make our response as strong as possible and complete this survey by 3 October (note: the survey is being run by Leonard Cheshire on behalf of the Disability Benefits Consortium).
You can support our work by telling your story, either relating to welfare benefits or employment support for Crohn's or Colitis - please email your story to email@example.com or share your story here